How to contribute a patch to a macports patch

David Antliff david.antliff at gmail.com
Fri May 20 16:54:55 PDT 2016

Hello,

I have a fairly simple fix I'd like to submit however it requires a
modification to an existing macports *patch* (as found in the 'files'
subdirectory of a Port).

I've read the Contributors' Guide however it's not clear to me whether I
should create a new patch that patches the file twice (thereby fixing the
issue caused by the first patch), or whether I should modify the existing
patch. The guide discusses creating Portfiles and adding patches, but it
doesn't seem to provide any guidance on patches that modify patches.

If I modify the existing patch, this implies that I'd submit a patch on a
patch to Trac. This is easy to do, but is it the right way?

Alternatively, if I create a second patch, to be applied after the first
(wrong) patch, then I'd need to create the diff based on the results of
applying the first patch. I'd also need to submit a patch on the Portfile
to incorporate the new patch. Not difficult but not trivial either, so I
don't want to do this if it would be frowned upon.

Specifically: issue 42070 <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/42070> has a
suggested fix in comment 4, which works for me. I'd like to submit this
properly rather than leaving it hanging in the comments where it seems it
may be doomed to remain.

Please advise my best course of action.

Regards,

-- David.