How to contribute a patch to a macports patch

David Evans devans at macports.org
Fri May 20 17:55:30 PDT 2016

On 5/20/16 4:54 PM, David Antliff wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a fairly simple fix I'd like to submit however it requires a modification to an existing macports *patch* (as
> found in the 'files' subdirectory of a Port).
>
> I've read the Contributors' Guide however it's not clear to me whether I should create a new patch that patches the file
> twice (thereby fixing the issue caused by the first patch), or whether I should modify the existing patch. The guide
> discusses creating Portfiles and adding patches, but it doesn't seem to provide any guidance on patches that modify patches.
>
> If I modify the existing patch, this implies that I'd submit a patch on a patch to Trac. This is easy to do, but is it
> the right way?
>
> Alternatively, if I create a second patch, to be applied after the first (wrong) patch, then I'd need to create the diff
> based on the results of applying the first patch. I'd also need to submit a patch on the Portfile to incorporate the new
> patch. Not difficult but not trivial either, so I don't want to do this if it would be frowned upon.
>
> Specifically: issue 42070 <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/42070> has a suggested fix in comment 4, which works for me.
> I'd like to submit this properly rather than leaving it hanging in the comments where it seems it may be doomed to remain.
>
> Please advise my best course of action.
>
> Regards,
>
> -- David.

If you want to submit a patch, the clearest way IMO is to submit your changes as a patch against the original,
unmodified file.  Then, if an existing patch exists, mention that this patch should replace that one.  Or you
can give your patch a different same and request that the original be removed, etc.

If you will attach your proposed patch to the ticket mentioned, I'll take a look at it and commit it for you.

Another David.