code-signing (log message and potential "fixes")

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat May 21 10:50:31 PDT 2016

On Saturday May 21 2016 12:54:00 Brandon Allbery wrote:

> That reference was old enough that it is probably something else now. I can

It would seem that /etc/authorization was deprecated in Feb. 2014 on my machine, which IIRC corresponds to the epoch where I upgraded from 10.6 to 10.9 . The user variant was probably also deprecated but not moved because there was no need for that. But that file was last modified at a time when I was maybe still running 10.4 on my G4 Powerbook ...

> dig deeper, I guess; I don't actually know much about the internals aside

If you want I'd be interested in what you find, of course. For now I've simply code-signed the kioslave in question with a self-signed certificate, and that seems to have made the warning go away.

> from various failure cases I've run across while trying to decipher
> weirdness on my machines. (and until recently I was on 10.9 so paid less
> attention to newer OSes)

I also got a private reply (I won't say from whom in case that was on purpose):
"go to the apple developer forum, this is now a fairly common occurrence and we’re all waiting for some kind of fix or guidance from apple."

I'd already wondered if these started occurring after the last sec. update.

R.