platform{} statement

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun May 29 08:14:53 PDT 2016

On May 29, 2016, at 05:07, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> The documentation states that the platform{} syntax for specifying platform variants doesn't allow you to specify a range of platforms. That still seems to be accurate.

Correct, except that the term "platform variant" has not been correct for several years. The platform statement used to behave like the variant statement (creating a block of code that executes after the rest of the portfile) but now behaves like an if statement (executing the code immediately where it appears in the portfile).

> So there is no way to use a single platform statement to replace `if {${os.platform} ne "darwin"}` (I tried `platform !darwin {}` and that indeed doesn't work)?

Correct, you can't use a platform statement to do that, so use an if statement.