Proposal for a MacPorts'ish commit message template

Marko Käning mk-macports at posteo.net
Tue Nov 1 15:51:52 PDT 2016

Hi MacPorts’ GitHubians,

I know that many of you weren't in favour of a commit message template,
but I propose one anyway, which I derived from KDE’s neat one, as I find
it on the console quite handy to know when 50 or 72 characters are
reached in a line:

--- ~/.git-commit-template ---
#  Please enter the commit message for your changes. Lines starting
#  with '#' will be ignored, and an empty message aborts the commit.
#
#   -> The title MUST not be longer than 50 characters.
#
#   -> You MUST wrap all further lines at 72 characters.
#
#  For more information on how to write commit messages see MacPorts'
#  wiki at https://trac.macports.org/wiki/WorkingWithGit#commitmessages
#
# ==[ Subject: One meaningful line ONLY!  ]======|

# ==[ Blank: Follow the Subject with a blank line, do NOT remove ]=====|

# ==[ Details: Describe what changed and explain why it changed]=======|

# ==[ Fields: Uncomment and edit where applicable ]====================|

# --[ Links to issues on MacPorts' trac ]------------------------------|
#ISSUE:      <full URL to trac ticket>
#RESOLVES:   <full URL to trac ticket>
#BLOCKED BY: <full URL to trac ticket>
#
##EXAMPLE:
# ISSUE: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/98765
#
##NOTE: Don't use '#'-notation, since it's a Pull Request ID on GitHub!
#
# --[ Links to other pull requests at GitHub ]—------------------------|
#PR:      <PR ID>
#
##EXAMPLE:
# PR:      #123
#
#
# --[ FUTURE FEATURE TO IGNORE/TRIGGER BUILDS ON SPECIFIC BUILDBOTS ]--|
#BUILDBOT: < ignore | list_of_buildbots >
#
##EXAMPLE:
# BUILDBOT: ignore
# BUILDBOT: ports-10.9_x86_64 ports-10.12_x86_64
#
##NOTE: This isn't yet implemented at MacPorts' GitHub!
#
##NOTE: See relevant issue: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/52769
---

I have fantasised a little here what concerns the (perhaps upcoming)
BUILDBOT feature.

The links section is also just serving as an example, but it might be a
good idea to define some useful keywords there as well.

I also introduced a pull request section, which might be nice to have
for proper documentation, who knows.

But perhaps all this is overkill?!

Suggestions are welcome.

Marko