GitHub usernames as maintainers

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Nov 1 23:49:22 PDT 2016

On 1 November 2016 at 19:57, Clemens Lang wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 07:42:23PM +0100, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> At some point (rather sooner than later) we'll have to start adding
>> GitHub usernames to Portfiles (we might have to extend the base to
>> properly support that).
>
> I agree, especially because the GitHub username is now also valid in
> Trac. At the moment, you'd get new tickets sent to your email address,
> not your Trac account (unless a user notices the equivalence in the
> auto-completion box).
>
>> And quite honestly I would also be in favour of asking committers to
>> use the same MacPorts handle as their GitHub account name (and only
>> keep the old ones as aliases).
>
> I like my handle, but I can see how it could lead to confusion. On the
> other hand, the maintainer handles are bound to become less important in
> the future anyway. If you want to reach a committer, there usually are
> contact methods on their GitHub profile.

You made your email public. Many accounts have no contact information
available, so the only way to contact them is to:
- open a random bogus ticket and mention their name as @username (but
that most likely means sending a "public message")
- figure out which repositories they have contributed to, clone the
repository and find the email there

None of that is really straightforward. And trying to matching a known
email to the username is actually worse. When creating pull requests
on GitHub (but also for tickets on Trac) we'll need that for both
committers and non-committers. Trac has at least the nice
auto-completion functionality that GitHub doesn't.

It would be nice if "port info" would also print the github usernames
of maintainers.

Mojca