Pull Requests for Work in Progress (WIP)

Marko Käning mk-macports at posteo.net
Fri Nov 4 10:55:37 PDT 2016

Hi Rainer,

On 03 Nov 2016, at 18:57 , Sterling Smith <smithsp at fusion.gat.com> wrote:
> On Nov 3, 2016, at 10:47AM, Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2016-11-03 17:49, Sterling Smith wrote:
>>> The main question of procedure is: Should the main macports repo be
>>> used for proposing review of work in progress via pull requests?  If
>>> not, what is the proposed method?
>>
>> I propose you put your changes on a branch, add the compare URL to a
>> ticket or send an email to macports-dev.
>>
>> In the case you referred to, this would be:
>>
>> https://github.com/mkae/macports-ports/compare/master...mkae:qtcurve_upgrade-for-Qt5
>>
> The downside (as I see it) of using the compare URL, as opposed to a full pull request, is that line by line comments are not available.

I think this is _downside_ enough to NOT use the approach suggested by you, because loosing the reviewing features (comments directly in the code) doesn’t make reviewers’ work easier, does it!

Besides there is even a clearly visible RED "Work-In-Progress" label available in the PR interface, which Mojca had spotted eventually.

But, hey, who am I to oppose such a decision if the core team of committers doesn’t think it’s a good idea?
Perhaps we should initiate a poll among the top 10 or even 20 committers, who are carrying the major load of reviewing/committing for MacPorts’ ports repo???

Greets,
Marko