Porting software that wants to build/install its own language bindings

A. Karl Kornel karl at kornel.us
Tue Nov 29 01:31:00 CET 2016

Hello!

I am looking for advice on how best to handle a port for a program that
wants to build its own language bindings.

I am writing a port for a program called "hivex", which is a tool and an
API for manipulating Windows Registry "hive" files.  The API is written
in C, but it also is able to build support for Perl, Python, OCaml, and
Ruby.

What makes this confusing is that additional language support is added
by `configure` switches (like --with-python and --without-ocaml), so I
don't think separate Portfiles would be the best option here.  I'm also
not sure if subports would work either.

Has anyone had to deal with this kind of situation before?  Any advice
would be appreciated!

~ Karl