Of C++ (and other) runtimes

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 01:42:17 PDT 2016

On Sunday October 09 2016 01:04:39 Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:

>My advice is to not mess with the base OS.  There is a very good reason why I force the user to use a variant and don't even give instructions on how to use darwinup to install the libcxxabi and libcxx tarballs.
>
>That being said, it's technically possible and they should be binary compatible.

>> And since we're talking about runtimes: is it even possible to upgrade the ObjectiveC runtime, as far as that is of any interest when you don't upgrade the rest of the SDK using it?
>
>It's all code and objc4 is OSS.  Go nuts (http://opensource.apple.com/source/objc4/objc4-680/).  Make backups.  YMMV.

Heh. I see no mention of ARC in the release notes; is that not part of (supported in) the runtime?

Still, is there a point in taking the risk? Not that it should be particularly hard to back out as long as you keep copies of the originals as well as a way to boot the system so you can mount the updated root and restore those original copies. I suppose that building with more than the standard optimisation settings will not make a significant difference in runtime performance?

Are these supposed to be signed, btw?

R.