Of C++ (and other) runtimes

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at apple.com
Sun Oct 9 01:04:39 PDT 2016

> On Oct 7, 2016, at 08:59, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Friday October 07 2016 11:43:48 Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
>
> [was Re: dbusmenu-qt5 build failure on 10.7 and 10.8 buildbots because of using libstdc++]
>
>> it might be useful to refine this mechanism to allow something like
>> "configure.compiler.cxx macports-gcc-XYZ", which would add a direct
>> library dependency on libgcc (among other things).
>
> Yep, that sounds like a good idea, but can that not be handled by the existing configure.cxx syntax?
>
> BTW: how risky is it to replace libc++ on newer OS X versions which do in fact provide them?

My advice is to not mess with the base OS.  There is a very good reason why I force the user to use a variant and don't even give instructions on how to use darwinup to install the libcxxabi and libcxx tarballs.

That being said, it's technically possible and they should be binary compatible.

I was actually using the newer libcxxabi and libcxx ports on Lion and Mountain Lion for a while.  The only issue I saw was that a system process (helpd or something like that) was crashing (I think on ML).  I didn't dig into the issue, but it's possible it was just a bug in the daemon that was revealed by the newer C++ runtime.  It's also quite possible there was a serious regression in the C++ runtime.  I never got around to looking into it more closely.

It's all code and objc4 is OSS.  Go nuts (http://opensource.apple.com/source/objc4/objc4-680/).  Make backups.  YMMV.