reasons for `port provides` not working?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 06:11:24 PDT 2016

Hi,

I've been bitten once too often by an oversight that I c/should have seen if `port provides` worked. It's not been working for me for a long time, and mostly I don't really miss it, but now I'd like to figure out if there's a way to get this feature online again.

Without reinstalling from scratch, of course.

What could this be related to?

The crazy thing is that it works perfectly on my "LinuxPorts" install which isn't even supposed to exist ;)

FWIW, I do get a proper error when a port tries to install a file already installed by another file, so a priori the information is all there.

R.