advanced bash-ing for long compiles

Fred Wright fw at fwright.net
Fri Oct 14 16:05:41 PDT 2016

On Fri, 14 Oct 2016, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Oct 14, 2016, at 09:50, Ken Cunningham <ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Oh, one more similar question while I'm at it.
> >
> > I notice mdworker seems to go nuts during these long builds, often
> > appearing to soak up lots of cycles. I assume it's trying to index
> > all the build files, etc
> >
> > is it easy to sleep that function and then re-enable it after the compile is done?
>
> I configure Spotlight not to index the /opt/local/var/macports/build directory (System Preferences)

By default, this isn't possible via the GUI, due to the macports
directory's being hidden.

On Sat, 15 Oct 2016, Joshua Root wrote:

> Not sure why this would be, since we set the hidden flag on
> ${prefix}/var/macports (technically $portdbpath) which should exclude it
> from Spotlight indexing. Maybe that doesn't work on 10.6? You could try
> adding it to the Privacy list in the Spotlight settings manually.

If you can.  See above.

One can also accomplish this via:

	sudo touch /opt/local/var/macports/build/.metadata_never_index

Though I don't know if this works across all OS versions.

Hiding the macports directory also gets in the way of attaching build logs
to tickets, since the browser's dialog box can't navigate to them.  I've
unhid this directory in the past for that reason, but every so often
something "fixes" it.  If preventing indexing is the sole reason for
hiding the directory, wouldn't using ".metadata_never_index" be better?

Fred Wright