advanced bash-ing for long compiles

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Fri Oct 14 16:37:57 PDT 2016

Hi,

----- On 15 Oct, 2016, at 01:05, Fred Wright fw at fwright.net wrote:

> By default, this isn't possible via the GUI, due to the macports
> directory's being hidden.

Use cmd+shift+g in the file chooser.

> One can also accomplish this via:
>
>	sudo touch /opt/local/var/macports/build/.metadata_never_index
>
> Though I don't know if this works across all OS versions.

Do you have documentation on this? The only documentation I could find
back then suggested that Spotlight will ignore hidden directories, so
that's why we made it hidden.

> Hiding the macports directory also gets in the way of attaching build logs
> to tickets, since the browser's dialog box can't navigate to them.

See above, you can use cmd+shift+g.

> I've unhid this directory in the past for that reason, but every so often
> something "fixes" it.  If preventing indexing is the sole reason for
> hiding the directory, wouldn't using ".metadata_never_index" be better?

MacPorts re-hides the directory. Indexing is the only reason to hide it.
If you have a link to documentation that shows that .metadata_never_index
is supported, I'll happily switch to that.

--
Clemens Lang