advanced bash-ing for long compiles

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at macports.org
Fri Oct 14 17:19:52 PDT 2016

> On Oct 14, 2016, at 7:37 PM, Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org> wrote:
> ----- On 15 Oct, 2016, at 01:05, Fred Wright fw at fwright.net wrote:
>> One can also accomplish this via:
>>
>> 	sudo touch /opt/local/var/macports/build/.metadata_never_index
>>
>> Though I don't know if this works across all OS versions.
>
> Do you have documentation on this? The only documentation I could find
> back then suggested that Spotlight will ignore hidden directories, so
> that's why we made it hidden.

Yes, this came up more than 2 years ago.  I couldn’t find official docs at that point.

http://www.mail-archive.com/macports-dev@lists.macosforge.org/msg26538.html

Only a discussion on apple-stackexchange:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/92784/preventing-spotlight-from-indexing-files-folders

Right now, searches on Apple’s Developer site are just endlessly spinning.

Craig