2nd MacPorts Meeting & Online Meeting

David Evans devans at macports.org
Sun Oct 16 16:54:21 PDT 2016

On 10/16/16 3:59 PM, Clemens Lang wrote:
> Hi Marko,
>
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 12:38:20AM +0200, Marko Käning wrote:
>> now that you say it… Weren’t you aiming at the Wiesn earlier this
>> year? ;-)
>
> Well, as you noticed, that didn't happen ;)
>

>> I noticed that there is eventually an official MacPorts ports git repo
>> [1] online since a few days now, which Ryan seems to be administering…
>> Cools stuff! It looks like MacPorts will soon work through git. I
>> think I was the first who forked this. ;)
>
> There will be an official announcement email with more instructions in a
> couple of days, too. We're still hammering out the details of the
> process and the draft.

Be looking forward to this email.  My main questions have to do with
the probable timing of the switch and whether it will be a sudden cold
turkey event or whether svn and git will be able to coincide for some nominal
migration period.

At some appropriate point, I'd like to see an advance announcement that says something
like:

You have until <some_reasonable_date_time> to commit your final changes to svn;
after that you'll need to use git.

I'd think that one to two weeks might be an appropriate warning period. Particularly
if folks know beforehand that it's coming.

Thanks, again, to all working on this issue for your (in the plural sense) efforts toward
modernizing MacPorts.

Dave