port:qt5 and (proposed) port:qt5-kde cohabitation

Marko Käning mk-macports at posteo.net
Sat Oct 22 17:08:23 PDT 2016

Hi,

in the light of the upcoming commit of the new 'qt5-kde' port I want to ask (again)
whether it would be acceptable, that we - for the sake of housekeeping - store all
KF5-related ports in a dedicated folder at

    dports/kf5

or whether it is really necessary, that all these KDE ports have to live under

    dports/kde

just like all those port files belonging to KDE 3 and 4?

We’re not opposed to do the latter, but it will be somewhat messier!

Since

 - KDE4 will still be around for some time,

 - KF5 only now picking up speed on OSX

 - and both port collections having independent maintainers (Nicolas and René)

it would make maintenance easier if one kept also their storage locations separate,
no?

Are there other reasons of not going for such an approach which we up to now aren’t
aware of, perhaps?

Greets,
Marko