port:qt5 and (proposed) port:qt5-kde cohabitation

Fred Wright fw at fwright.net
Sun Oct 23 15:04:26 PDT 2016

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016, Clemens Lang wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 11:25:52AM +0200, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
>
> > I noticed it for Trac (which isn't a complete improvement *). I'm not
> > aware that git allows pulling only changes to a single subdirectory
> > like svn does (svn up in a port dir. to update only that port, for
> > instance). Does it?
>
> No it doesn't. It's something you'll have to live with.

Actually it does.  You can do:

	git checkout <commit, branch, etc.> -- <directory path>

In this case, you'd probably want "master" for the first argument.

This updates the index as well as the working directory, so "git diff"
without "--cached" won't show anything (but "git status" will).  If you
want to unstage the changes, just do :

	git reset

This reverts the index changes so that the changes are only in the working
directory.  It's not clear whether doing this with or without the reset is
better as an "svn analogy", given that svn doesn't have an index.

Fred Wright