port:qt5 and (proposed) port:qt5-kde cohabitation

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Sun Oct 23 15:25:10 PDT 2016

> On Oct 23, 2016, at 6:04 PM, Fred Wright <fw at fwright.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 23 Oct 2016, Clemens Lang wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 11:25:52AM +0200, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
>>>
>>> I noticed it for Trac (which isn't a complete improvement *). I'm not
>>> aware that git allows pulling only changes to a single subdirectory
>>> like svn does (svn up in a port dir. to update only that port, for
>>> instance). Does it?
>>
>> No it doesn't. It's something you'll have to live with.
>
> Actually it does.  You can do:
>
> 	git checkout <commit, branch, etc.> -- <directory path>

This procedure is equivalent to editing all the content in the
subdirectory to match the contents of the specified treeish (optionally
adding it to the index), and Git has about as much awareness of what
you're doing as if you'd literally made all the changes by hand. It is
nothing like Subversion's selective subdirectory updating (where
revisions are tracked on a per-subdirectory basis), and suggesting that
it is will just court more confusion.

vq