Git tools for managing patchsets

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Mon Oct 24 10:25:11 PDT 2016

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 09:37:37AM -0700, Michael wrote:
> So since MacPorts is moving to git, and from what I saw in the "how to
> use git" docs you mentioned, you apparently want people to work with
> patchsets rebased onto the current head from upstream.
>
> As I was thinking about that, I realized that you lose your history of
> the patchset in the process.

If I understand this correctly, this is a problem that applies to
repositories of source code, not repositories of build description
files. The way we currently keep patches for our ports is putting them
next to the Portfiles in what will be the macports-ports Git repository.
Consequently, we already have the history of these patchfiles.

As an example, let's consider the yubico-c-client port. It's defined in
MacPorts in
  security/yubico-c-client/Portfile
The patches to be applied to the source code of yubico-c-client are
under version control in
  security/yubico-c-client/files
which already gives us a history of the patches.

If I understand the tools you proposed correctly, they work on top of
the source code of yubico-c-client, which would be a clone of
  https://github.com/Yubico/yubico-c-client

Or am I misunderstanding things here?

--
Clemens