Git tools for managing patchsets

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Mon Oct 24 15:14:28 PDT 2016

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 11:57:51PM +0200, Marko Käning wrote:
> The only question mark I have there is:
>
> 	Will we ask the committers to squash their changesets or prefer to
> 	clutter the main repo with potentially many tiny iterations for the
> 	changed ports??

I think "clutter" is not the appropriate word here. We will also not ask
committers to generally squash all their changes.

> Personally I don’t like history rewriting, but a squash every now and
> then seems fine to me, as an update to a port sometimes requires a few
> iterations until it is ready for pushing to the central repo and it is
> usually one logical unit deserving an atomic commit.

It will probably be up to you as a MacPorts developer. I agree that
logical units should be committed atomically, but that doesn't mean that
you cannot commit multiple atomic changes in one push or pull request.

--
Clemens