Git tools for managing patchsets

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Mon Oct 24 15:08:53 PDT 2016

> On Oct 24, 2016, at 5:57 PM, Marko Käning <mk-macports at posteo.net> wrote:
>
> The only question mark I have there is:
>
> 	Will we ask the committers to squash their changesets or prefer
> 	to clutter the main repo with potentially many tiny iterations
> 	for the changed ports??
>
> Personally I don’t like history rewriting, but a squash every now and
> then seems fine to me, as an update to a port sometimes requires a few
> iterations until it is ready for pushing to the central repo and it is
> usually one logical unit deserving an atomic commit.

I would encourage committers to learn how to rewrite history and then
edit pull request branches as they see fit before rebasing them onto
master. Don't assume that contributors will submit logical commits with
polished messages. Even now, I break all but the simplest Trac patches
into multiple commits.

vq