GitHub desired workflow...

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Mon Oct 31 14:46:14 PDT 2016

> On Oct 31, 2016, at 5:01 PM, Eric A. Borisch <eborisch at macports.org> wrote:
>
> Just so I'm clear on this, is the desired approach for each committer
> to:
>
> == setup ==
> 1) clone macports/macports-ports to the local filesystem

After cloning, you should be sure that you are using your MacPorts email
address for commits. It's not the end of the world if you forget, but
the shorter our .mailmap files are, the better.

> == every change ==
> 2) make changes
> 3) 'add' changes
> 4) 'commit' changes

More or less. Ultimately, anything you do before pushing is up to you,
as long as you don't push any merge commits. We've disabled
force-pushing on all master branches, so you don't have to worry too
much doing that accidentally.

> 5) 'push' changes (to macports-ports)
>
> Oh, and and to capture upstream changes, somewhere after 1 and before
> 5 (4? 3?),
>
> a) git fetch
> b) git rebase origin/master
> It looks like git pull --rebase does both of those, so that's not too
> bad.

That's the idea, although you'll have to do this with a clean working
tree. That means committing or stashing your WIPs.

vq