Fakeroot destrooting [Was: Re: lldb ...]

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at apple.com
Tue Sep 13 01:39:41 PDT 2016

> On Sep 13, 2016, at 00:14, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Monday September 12 2016 21:51:55 Jeremy Sequoia wrote:
>
> I can confirm that there *is* feedback on radars, though I do have to admit that in my case it is usually one of 3 forms:
> - works as intended
> - please check if the issue still exists in the latest release (typically months later)
> - please install the latest OS X version and tell us if the bug still persists

Yes, ADC often sends template responses for bugs that are reported against old OS versions or when fixed (or we believe are fixed) in various releases.

> Esp. the latter response doesn't really help. I know that clinging to an old OS X release isn't the ideal solution either, but I think that a different approach would be more constructive as long as a version is still supported and receives updates of whatever kind.

Sometimes bugs are fixed in newer versions of the OS and not backported to older OS versions because they don't meet the criteria for an SU.  Many bugs got fixed in Sierra that won't get fixed in an El Cap software update.  That's just the nature of things.

On the flip side, a significant percentage the radars that I receive have insufficient information for action, and I send them back with detailed instructions on providing me with a sysdiagnose, sample projects, etc, etc.  I usually do so within days of receiving the radar, and they sometimes sit for months without action on the part of the originator.

> There are software providers out there who tend to give the impression they don't always take into consideration the fact that we (as in those who file bug reports) don't work for them, and Apple aren't completely foreign to that.
>
> Anyway, a bit off-topic :)
>
> R.
>
> PS: no, I cannot think of any open radars I filed about issues that keep nagging me. I may have filed one about a frequent SystemUIServer crash when getting back to my session from the login screen, but I actually haven't seen that crash for a bit now.

Do you have 3rd party menu extras?  IIRC, you're on 10.9, and 3rd party menu extras run in SystemUIServer.  I frequently got SystemUIServer crashes thanks to iStat Menus.