No Xcode 8 CLT for El Capitan

Jack Howarth howarth.at.macports at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 12:40:27 PDT 2016

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 3:15 PM, Adam Dershowitz <dersh at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> That comment does not make it at all clear what those of us who updated to Xcode 8 (but not beta!) but are still on OS X 10.11 are supposed to do.
> I have posted a ticket about building cmake that seems to be because it is trying to use 10.12 SDK, but it is not clear how to work around that.
> Perhaps the answer is to downgrade to Xcode 7, and stay away from 8?  (It is a big download!)
> Or, it might be that just the 10.11 command line tools is enough?

If you install Xcode 8 on 10.11, you need to make sure that
'xcode-select -p' reports /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer
so that you are actually using the Xcode 8 compilers. The Command Line
Tools installed by Software Update or 'xcode-select --install' on
10.11 will be those from Xcode 7.3.1 and will provide the 10.11 SDK
installed in /.