No Xcode 8 CLT for El Capitan

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Thu Sep 22 01:49:36 PDT 2016

> On Sep 21, 2016, at 12:45, Adam Dershowitz <dersh at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> It does:
>
> $ xcode-select -p
> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer
>

> For me some updates in Macports, including some builds, seem to work OK, and others, such as cmake, are giving an error:
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/52258
>
> I’m not sure if I then need to completely switch to Xcode 7?  Or if I can just install the command line tools for 10.11 Xcode 7.3.1?  If I do that, where do they install, so that I can point xcode-select to the proper path?

If you don't have the CLTools installed, you wouldn't be able to install most of MacPorts.  I'm pretty sure you likely have them installed.

Dropping back down to Xcode 7 would mean that Xcode.app would contain the 10.11 SDK and would workaround your issue, but the issue is that the port isn't honoring your SDK (and maybe deployment target) selections (which default to / and host os version respectively).