I'm a newbie mantainer and I'm confused about the buildbot

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 13:58:17 PDT 2016

On 2016-09-29, at 12:26 PM, Leonardo Brondani Schenkel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently started maintaining some MacPorts packages. For the first time today I got a message from the buildbot: apparently the neomutt package does not build on OS X 10.5 PPC due to '_safe_malloc' being undefined (https://build.macports.org/builders/ports-10.5_ppc_legacy-watcher/builds/632). My first question is regarding the procedure for failed builds: what is it expected that I as the maintainer should do in this case? Should I notify upstream and so maybe we could come up with a patch? Something else?
>
> After that mail I got dozens of mails today from the buildbot regarding other unrelated packages, many just a few seconds or minutes apart. Is this expected or was there a glitch? I don't get why I'm getting mails for packages that I didn't change or maintain.
>
> Maybe what I am asking is explained somewhere in the documentation, but honestly I couldn't find it. I may be looking at the wrong place.

Hmmm. I get the same error today:

:info:build /opt/local/bin/clang-mp-3.7  -pipe -Os -arch x86_64  -L/opt/local/lib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -arch x86_64 -stdlib=libc++ -L/opt/local/lib -L/opt/local/lib -L/opt/local/lib -L/opt/local/lib -o mutt_dotlock mutt_dotlock.o strndup.o strnlen.o wcscasecmp.o regex.o
:info:build Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
:info:build   "_safe_malloc", referenced from:
:info:build       _strndup in strndup.o
:info:build ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64

I see he recently added it:

	* sidebar.c: Fix sidebar check_sec.sh warnings.

	Use safe_malloc, FREE, and the safe_strcat functions.

==========

and it seems to be defined here:
neomutt-20160916/rfc822.c

#if HAVE_CONFIG_H
# include "config.h"
#endif

#include <string.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

#ifndef TESTING
#include "mutt.h"
#else
#define safe_strdup strdup
#define safe_malloc malloc
#define FREE(x) safe_free(x)
#define strfcpy(a,b,c) {if (c) {strncpy(a,b,c);a[c-1]=0;}}
#define LONG_STRING 1024
#include "rfc822.h"
#endif

and so I thought if I defined TESTING in config.h that might work --

/* config.h.  Generated from config.h.in by configure.  */
/* config.h.in.  Generated from configure.ac by autoheader.  */

#define TESTING 1

but it generate other errors.

Does this build for you?

Ken