I'm a newbie mantainer and I'm confused about the buildbot

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Sep 29 16:47:25 PDT 2016

On 30 September 2016 at 01:29, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> I for one am very happy that patches are accepted for older systems, unlike homebrew and fink.

Just curious: where did you get that information? I'm not too familiar
with homebrew, but
https://github.com/Homebrew/brew/blob/master/docs/Installation.md#2
says

"10.10 or higher is recommended. 10.5 - 10.8 are supported on a
best-effort basis. For 10.4 and 10.5, see Tigerbrew."

We don't have any special branch for old OSes, Tiger works from the
same sources, but the rest of the claim holds pretty much the same way
for MP. The software will keep working [only] as long as someone with
the required hardware / skill / interest would be willing to fix
problems. If upstream drops support for older versions entirely,
there's little we can do (short of installing different versions for
different OSes or maintaining separate branches, none of which is
ideal).

Mojca