[MacPorts] #49559: nepomuk-core can't be installed on a case-sensitive system (was: neponuk can't be installed on a case-sensitive system)

Sierk Bornemann sierkb at gmx.de
Fri Sep 30 08:17:28 PDT 2016

> Am 30.09.2016 um 16:28 schrieb Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org>:

>>> Apple has decided Mac OS has a case-insensitive filesystem by
>>> default; it's pointless to talk about what you think they should
>>> have done; they didn't do that.
>>
>> Past/presence. But: Apple seems finally to go into case-sensitive per
>> default resp. case-sensitive-only:
>>
>> Apples forthcoming APFS is/will be case sensitive per default, and
>> relating Sierra so far is case sensitive-only (when, if at all
>> case-insensitivity will be implemented, only Apple knows):
>
> Given the nature of the other items on that list (no startup volumes, no
> Time Machine, no FileVault), it would be highly imprudent to assume that
> case-sensitivity-by-default is anything other than a corner that was cut
> to get the Developer Preview out the door.
>
> vq

If you were right - why then implementing then case-sensitivity in the first place instead of firstly implementing case-insensitivity?
I, on your stead, would assume that Apple finally here begins to practically fulfill a years-long indicated paradigm change - towards case-sensitivity per default. Finally.
I think further, it would worth a check, if POSIX 2008 conformance on which the fresh Single UNIX Specification version 4 (SUSv4) of this current year 2016 also mandats case-sensitivity per default, as I can read the POSIX 2008 specification site on Open Group: http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap02.html

[quote]
The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 7, IEEE Std 1003.1-2008, 2016 Edition, Copyright © 2001-2016 The IEEE and The Open Group
2. Conformance
2.1 Implementation Conformance
For the purposes of POSIX.1-2008, the implementation conformance requirements given in this section apply.
2.1.1 Requirements
A conforming implementation shall meet all of the following criteria:
[…]
The system may provide non-standard extensions. These are features not required by POSIX.1-2008 and may include, but are not limited to:
[…]
	• Non-conforming file systems (for example, legacy file systems for which _POSIX_NO_TRUNC is false, case-insensitive file systems, or network file systems)
[…]
[/quote]

Apples OS X incl. Sierra so far conforms to SUSv3 based on (the old) POSIX 2001 (meanwhile POSIX 2004 and POSIX 2008 have been published years ago).

Maybe a further inspection worth, which path Apple will go per default, if APFS is stable and shipped? Maybe asking some expert from Apple directly, who have insight and know more?
Case-insensitivity per default on Apples systems seems to come to en end. More than ever, if you realize, that in iOS, being the case sensitive HFSX by default.

And so https://developer.apple.com/library/content/qa/qa1697/_index.html

states:

[quote=Apple]Case-sensitivity: iPhone OS uses a case-sensitive file system, unlike the Simulator which uses a case-insensitive file system by default. Make sure the case-sensitivity of resources accessed within code matches the filename case-sensitivity.
[/quote]

Apple walks the case-sensitive path, with iOS being case sensitive per default since years, and they advice the developers since a very while to walk that path too and to make and assure their applications and their filesystem handling to be case sensitive. And OS X/macOS now marches the same path - towards case sensitivity per default, it will follow, all signs undeniably point to that direction. Finally!

Regards,
Sierk