dvips from texlive-basic broken?

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Apr 13 05:20:36 UTC 2017

On 13 April 2017 at 01:42, Andrew Moore wrote:
> Only by moving aside dvips(1) from MacPorts texlive-basic  and using dvips(1) from MacTeX 2016 distribution, was I able to upgrade to MacPorts asymptote 2.41 vector graphics package.
>
> asymptote 2.40 was installed about a month ago without any issues.  Anyone care to confirm or dispute this claim?  texlive-basic doesn’t appear to have been updated since December 2016, so it doesn’t make a lot of sense, but I’ve verified the problem and solution on two independent systems…  Thank you!

I'm not on 10.12 yet, but asymptote builds for me even if I remove
dvips from MacPorts.

This comes out of the blue, but did you perhaps update ghostscript?
MacPorts currently ships version 9.19. Version 9.21 has been released
very recently (see http://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/), but I didn't
update it and if you did, this could explain the reason, even if I'm
currently not aware of how that could have happened. Both asymptote
and dvips would use whatever gs comes first in PATH (so they might
take it from the system rather than from MacPorts if you installed it
manually). You should provide at least some logs to see what exactly
is going on. (You could also open a ticket, even if it turns out to be
invalid.)

Mojca