[MacPorts] Migration modified

Umesh Singla umeshksingla at macports.org
Tue Aug 29 12:34:30 UTC 2017

Hi, see inline.

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 5:42 PM, Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org> wrote:

> On 2017-08-29 01:57, MacPorts wrote:
> > Page "Migration" was changed by thomasrussellmurphy
> > Diff URL: <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration?action=diff&
> version=99>
> > Revision 99
> > Comment: Change procedure to have the preparation step of logging
> installed ports *before* installing the new OS and upgrading MacPorts
>
> Thank you for working on the instructions.
>
> However, I doubt that users will actually read these instructions before
> upgrading their OS. Quite the contrary, the port command will link to
> this wiki page when it detects that the OS was upgraded. I would expect
> this to be the most common case when users will come to this wiki page,
> so I think the instructions should focus on that. Right now the steps
> start with what they should have done before upgrading their OS, which
> is not helpful in this situation.
>
> What was the reason to move the steps for saving the installed/requested
> ports to the top?

@Rainer, does this mean we can't help a user when user upgrades or
reinstalls OS from scratch before landing on this page. This is actually a
problem I have been thinking about with my GSoC project on migration this
summer.

While moving the steps for saving the installed/requested to the top makes
sense because that is what a user should do, ideally. But in the event of
reinstalling an OS from scratch (I am not talking about 'upgrading' OS),
even the `port migrate` won't be able to help us unless we have saved a
list as above prior to reinstalling OS or `port` command even won't be
there.

- Umesh