base master and editing commands

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Dec 4 16:51:57 UTC 2017

On Dec 4, 2017, at 10:30, db wrote:
> On 4 Dec 2017, at 13:20, Rainer Müller wrote:
>> You are trying to build MacPorts against readline installed by MacPorts.
>
> Why can I build it against its own curl but not its own readline?

Well curl is curl. macOS provides an old version of curl and MacPorts provides a newer version, but they're both curl.

Meanwhile, MacPorts provides readline, but macOS appears to actually provide libedit instead of readline.

$ ls -l /usr/lib/libreadline.dylib
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  15 Sep 13 11:23 /usr/lib/libreadline.dylib -> libedit.3.dylib

So it's possible that our code in MacPorts, which claims to be for readline, is actually for libedit.

But we do not recommend linking MacPorts with any libraries provided by MacPorts, because of the likelihood that something will go wrong when you later upgrade or uninstall that library.