help needed with figuring out an odd github source URL

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Sun Dec 17 01:05:44 UTC 2017

On 16 December 2017 at 17:03, Perry E. Metzger <perry at piermont.com> wrote:

> It seems that simply doing
>
> github.setup   coq coq 8.7.1 V
>
> works. Though I wish I understood the magic going on with github's
> URLs better.

# Then, replace the name and version lines with:
#
#   github.setup        author project version [tag_prefix]

In particular this is happening:

default github.master_sites {${github.homepage}/tarball/[join
${github.tag_prefix} ""]${github.version}}
    git.branch              [join ${github.tag_prefix}]${github.version}
    distname                ${github.project}-${github.version}

> BTW, does the github portgroup handle "livecheck" automatically or
> does one still need to do that "by hand"?

_resources/port1.0/group/github-1.0.tcl seems to show that it will
work automatically

In general, when confused, it can help to read the tcl code directly.
It won't always be obvious but can be informative.

--
Eitan Adler