help needed with figuring out an odd github source URL

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Dec 19 12:27:20 UTC 2017

On Dec 16, 2017, at 18:05, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Coq has moved to github for releases, and the form of the release
> url I need to produce is:
>
>   https://github.com/coq/coq/archive/V8.7.1.tar.gz
>
> What "github.setup" magic do I need for this?
>
> If I do
>
>   github.setup        coq coq 8.7.1
>
> it tries to get https://github.com/coq/coq/tarball/8.7.1/coq-8.7.1.tar.gz
> which isn't what I need.
>
> (And I wish I understood the github portgroup stuff better. :( )

The github portgroup documents itself fairly well in comments; read them. Someone has also recently converted those comments into proper guide markup; it's in the pull requests but I don't think it's been merged yet.

The github portgroup does not support archive URLs. See https://trac.macports.org/ticket/40518. If you can think of a reason why it should, please let me know. Until then, allow the portgroup to use the tarball URL.

Yes, the portgroup handles livecheck for you.