Addressing Port submission failures on Travis

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Dec 20 07:36:41 UTC 2017

On 2017-12-20 18:22 , Andrew L. Moore wrote:
> Hi,
> A couple weeks ago, I made a couple Port submissions (devel/libwebsockets and net/mosquitto).  Travis is reporting build failures for Xcode 7 and 8.  I don’t, unfortunately, have the resources to easily test on other systems, and the Travis report doesn’t seem to offer much guidance what the issue is, at least that I could see.  How to proceed?

Do you have a link to the Travis log? If there's an actual build
failure, there should be a link to a pastebin with the full log (due to
Travis limits on log size). It may have simply taken longer than Travis
allows (and will say so in that case).

> On a separate note,  I notice that my pull request appears to be tracking my entire macports-ports fork, which includes changes to several other ports.  Should I create a new fork for each pull request?

Not a new fork, but a new branch.

> For reference, here’s what i did:
>
> * Created a fork of macports-ports on GitHub
>
> * Cloned that fork to my local system
>
> * Added  an upstream reference (https://github.com/macports/macports-ports.git)
>
> * Then to sync with upstream, I use:
>
>   git fetch upstream
>   git rebase upstream/master
>
> * And to push to my GitHub fork, I just use:
>
>   git push
>
> Got now my pull request appears to have picked up all that activity.  Where did I go wrong?

That's all fine as far as it goes. You just need to make a new branch to
hold your work for each PR. After the PR is merged, you can delete the
branch (and the GitHub web UI even has a button for that).

- Josh