heads-up : QtWebEngine 5.9+ and port:protobuf-cpp build conflict

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 11:05:47 UTC 2017

Hi,

Building QWE 5.9.3 on Linux (with my LinuxPorts hack) I ran into a conflict situation with an installed port:protobuf-cpp : QWE includes its own copy of protobuf v3.x but cannot apparently be prevented from picking up headers from the installed older port.

I see that mcalhoun already bumped his Qt5 port to 5.10 (yay...) but don't have reason to think that QWE 5.10 would be any different in this aspect.

This kind of situation could ultimately give a strong reason to implement support for -dev subports (even in a suboptimal way like the devport PortGroup I submitted as a PoC a while back).

FWIW: protobuf-cpp isn't the only port concerned here, I also ran into the same kind of conflict with the port:openssl headers.

R.