Fix Sierra Trac query

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Mon Dec 25 10:34:22 UTC 2017

On Dec 24 13:56:08, ryandesign at macports.org wrote:
> >> I would find that more confusing.
> >
> > How is "10.13" confusing?
> > How is it more confusing than "High Sierra"?
>
> I meant that I would find it more confusing to use two different ways of tagging OS versions in the issue tracker, depending on the version of the OS. I would find it simpler to use a single way to tag all OS versions in the issue tracker.

So let's start tagging with the version numbers, like adults.
The confusion of also having names of cats and mountains
for the old releases will eventually die out as they get older.

> >> I really didn't intend to start a big discussion here.
> >> I just wanted to point out a small issue with one of our wiki pages
> >> and to invite someone with interest in fixing the page to do so.
> >
> > The point of that page, if I get it, is to list problems
> > specific to that vesion of the OS, and it doesn't,
> > precisely because "sierra" matches "highsierra" (right?).
> > So using these silly names is precisely the problem, no?

Can someone please confirm this is the case?
Is it because the tracker's querry cannot distinguish
between ^sierra$ (as in grep -w) and "sierra" as a substring?

> > On Sep 26 15:58:04, smithsp wrote:
> >> If I go to "Apple symbol" -> "About this mac",
> >> I get a version number, not a name.
> >
> > Exactly. Why would you use anything else to identify the OS version?
> "About this Mac" shows both the marketing name and the version number.

Yes it does. It also says 'macOS' where it used to say 'MacOSX'.
How is a random marketing name better then a number?
Why would you use that?

> > On Sep 27 16:13:45, jonesc wrote:
> >> As a test I tried adding highsierra as a keyword to
> >> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/53161
> >> and indeed it disappeared from the Sierra list.
> >> I then changed the keyword from highsierra to 10.13 ... and it also did not
> >> work.
> >> It appears the logic in the code has never worked for these sorts of
> >> keywords. I just fixed this and now the ticket appears in both lists.
> >
> > This ticket uses both keywords
> > but only appears on the HighSierra list.
>
> Yup. That is because the query on the Sierra page says to find tickets having the keyword highsierra but not the keyword sierra. Which isn't really what we want.

Now I'm confused: why doesn't the query on that page
just search for 'highsierra' (or better yet, 10.13.?),
thus getting problems specific to that release
- and possibly other releases too, if that's the case?

> > On the other hand,
> > https://trac.macports.org/ticket/55262
> > uses no keywords and appears on both lists.
>
> Yup. That's because the queries look not only in the keywords field
> but also in the summary, and that ticket says "High Sierra" in the summary.

Ah, so it's _not_ a list if tickets saying the keyword in the keywords?

> >> So one work around is to start to try and use 10.13 and 10.12 etc.,
> >> instead of highsierra, sierra.
> >
> > Please.
>
> As I'm sure I said before in this thread, we could do that,
> but I'm not thrilled about the massive amount of editing of existing tickets
> required to convert all the existing keywords,

Would that need to be done maually?
Isn't thee a "s/^tiger$/10.4/" to be run over the database?

Looking at

	https://trac.macports.org/wiki/SnowLeopardProblems
	https://trac.macports.org/wiki/LionProblems
	https://trac.macports.org/wiki/MavericksProblems
	https://trac.macports.org/wiki/YosemiteProblems
	https://trac.macports.org/wiki/ElCapitanProblems
	https://trac.macports.org/wiki/SierraProblems
	https://trac.macports.org/wiki/HighSierraProblems

there seem to be about three hundred tickets.

BTW, what are those "gaps" inbetween the sets of tickets
on each of those pages? For example, for SnowLeopardProblems,
there is 22 tickets + a few more + 1 ticket, in such sets.
It seems that the first is those who say just 'snowleopard'
in the keywords, the seconds set is those that say 'snowleopard'
and possibly something else, and for https://trac.macports.org/ticket/20909
I have no idea. How did it get there?

> and of all the email notifications that will go out to everyone as a result,
> which some might start to view as spam...

If I get an email saying that keyword 'snowleopard' in my ticket
has been changed to '10.6', I'll say hooray.

	Jan