GitHub usernames in maintainers field

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sat Feb 11 23:05:36 UTC 2017

On 11 February 2017 at 23:25, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2017, at 13:14, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> On 11 February 2017 at 20:05, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:
>>> Do we have a mapping list somewhere, so we can just script this for known mappings?
>>
>> The list should be available on our Trac (at least for those who
>> logged in with their github account).
>
> I assumed such a list would only be visible to our Trac sysadmins. Can it be seen by anyone logging in to Trac? If so, how?

Yes and no. One cannot get a list directly, but one can just enter the
email in the CC field and it will suggest you which username belongs
to that email. We don't have a list of all emails either, but that
could be assembled from Portfiles without too much hassle and looked
up one-by-one or scripted if someone really insisted.

I've been using that workaround to figure out whom to @mention on
various pull requests.

I don't know if there are any security implications (provided that
emails are public in Portfiles already). But probably this reveals
emails from any GitHub user that ever logged in to our Trac as well,
not just those of maintainers.

The old trac would hide full email addresses. Anyone logged in as
committer would see full emails, I'm not sure if random newbies would
also see full emails before the transition. I guess they do now.

My idea would be to get the "official list" from the sysadmins and do
auto-replacement for all ports at the same time. Waiting for
individual committers to do the changes will take forever and just
means a lot of manual work + hundreds of commits (or hundreds of pull
requests to be merged manually from maintainers without commit
rights). Not to even mention all the typos, forgotten ports etc. (For
that reason I would be in favour of keeping a single obfuscated list
somewhere rather than duplicating all entries all over the place.
Duplication is acceptable, but I really don't like manual work.)

Mojca