Request to review rpcgen

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Feb 23 08:47:51 UTC 2017

Hi,

I would like to ask for help with this:
    https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/270

Apple already ships rpcgen, but it lacks an important flag to make the
generated code thread-safe and I need that flag to package other
software.

The software seems "abandoned", but FreeBSD keeps a copy in their SVN
repo, so I took it from there

The binary itself seems to work just fine, but I have a couple of open
questions:

- What to use as a homepage? (I'm not aware of any)

- Livecheck is super weird, but I have no better idea.

- Is it OK to call the binary simply "rpcgen" (and shadow the one from
the OS)? (I guess I could rename it to rpcgen-something, but then it
would make it more difficult to use and I'm not aware of major
incompatibilities. The "file" from MacPorts also shadows the "file"
from OS in pretty incompatible ways.)

- I need some guidance about what the Licence should be, what I need
to do to comply with it and whether it is acceptable to make the port
binary distributable or no (and if so: how).

Thank you very much,
    Mojca