Conflicting binary in dependency

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Fri Jan 13 13:46:52 CET 2017

On 2017-1-12 18:58 , Aaron Madlon-Kay wrote:
> Hi all. I was hoping to get some advice:
>
> I want to make the sqlite3-tools package available via MacPorts
> (binaries available at https://sqlite.org/download.html); this package
> contains three binaries: sqlite3 CLI shell, sqldiff, and sqlite3_analyzer.

Is "sqlite3 CLI shell" the 'sqlite3' binary that is already installed by
the sqlite3 port?

> Problem:
>
> sqlite3_analyzer requires TCL; it turns out the `tcl` port actually
> includes sqlite3_analyzer built from its own bundled copy of sqlite3,
> but it is an older version. This older version is installed to
> ${prefix}/bin, so it conflicts with any newer version we might try to
> install.
>
> Questions:
>
> - Is it common knowledge that sqlite3_analyzer is available as part of
> TCL? Its inclusion there seems coincidental, perhaps just due to the
> fact that it's implemented in TCL?
>   - If no, can we remove it from the `tcl` port?

It's well known that Tcl 8.6 bundles all of sqlite3. Probably fine to
remove or rename this script though.

> - If sqlite3_analyzer can't be removed from the `tcl` port, should the
> newer binary have a different name or be put in a different path? Is
> there a standard scheme for disambiguation like this?

There's no standard scheme. The usual approach is to append the name of
the port to one of the files.

> - If no to all above, sqlite3_analyzer can be built against the
> system-provided TCL framework, and the port can be marked as
> incompatible with the `tcl` port. Is that acceptable? (I would think not)

You think right. :)

> Aside:
>
> I've got this working in two forms: a +tools variant on the `sqlite3`
> port, and a new port called `sqlite3-tools`; I'm feeling like a the
> +tools variant might be the better way to go, but feedback on this would
> be appreciated as well.

I would think a separate port (or subport) would be better. A
non-default variant would not be available as an archive, and I don't
like the idea of adding a Tcl dependency to sqlite3 by default.

- Josh