Handling C++11

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 18:30:49 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 1:21 PM, Marcus Calhoun-Lopez <mcalhoun at macports.org
> wrote:

> At the risk of rehashing a closed topic, I would like to propose a new way
> of handling C++11 (especially on older systems).
> I have opened three tickets that I hope, together, would solve some of the
> issues raised previously.
>
> [1] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/53194
> [2] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/53330
> [3] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/53329
>
> I still may not 100% understand libstdc++ vs libc++ vs GCC 5.1 libstdc++,
> so any suggestions and feedback would be most welcome.

The *only* time you should use a libstdc++ different from the
system-provided one (or ones, on 10.7) is the current LibcxxOnOlderSystems
--- which explicitly loses compatibility with all Apple-provided C++
libraries, because there's no other choice on those platforms. If at all
possible, you do *not* want to do that. It limits what you can build, and
can lead to bizarre build errors if non-MacPorts C++ builds find MacPorts
C++ libraries.

gcc 5.1 libstdc++ is GPL3 and poses significant license issues with respect
to distributing binaries, among others.