Qt and SecureTransport vs. OpenSSL

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 11:35:28 UTC 2017

On Saturday January 21 2017 15:21:19 Marcus Calhoun-Lopez wrote:

> The openssl dependency is one reason that qt5-qtcreator does not build on the buildbots.

I never understood why one could distribute binaries of libraries that link to openssl but not of applications that use those libraries...

> My current plan is to use Secure Transport instead and create an openssl variant.
> Unfortunately, my knowledge of Transport Layer Security is limited, so I do not know if there are other considerations.

https://trac.macports.org/attachment/ticket/53369

With that patch in place, Qt's qtdiag application prints

Network:
  Using "OpenSSL 1.0.2j  26 Sep 2016", version: 0x100020af

Port:openssl now becomes a build+runtime dependency, which I reckon means we can simply leave it as a "standard" dependency.

With that I think SecureTransport builds can still be considered, but as an optional variant that can be selected by users who have a specific reason to do so.