Is it time for a libc_fixes library yet?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jul 4 08:38:31 UTC 2017

On Jul 3, 2017, at 12:07, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> As we have said before (last year) this library could be automatically linked in by base. That would cause trouble with the ports that have already patched in a def, tho.

Your library offers multiple functions... getline, strndup, etc.

What happens if a software package provides, for example, a compatibility implementation of getline but not strndup? Can your library be used in this case or will that also "cause trouble", as you put it above?

I see the port and a portgroup have been added to MacPorts. I would like to request that each port that adopts this port/portgroup also add a comment explaining upstream's stance on the issue. For example, a link to the upstream bug report.