Dropping recommendation to install system headers / command line tools

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Wed Jul 5 12:38:16 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 7:14 AM, Jan Stary <hans at stare.cz> wrote:
>> as it avoids /usr/local/{include,lib} contamination.  What are the thoughts on this?
>
> What contamination? I don't even have /usr/local/

You may not have /usr/local, but lots of people do. It's the default
installation prefix when compiling most 3rd party tools and there are
other 3rd party software installers that pick this path as well.

The issue is that libraries installed here may be picked up instead of
those installed by MacPorts in /opt/local. A lot of effort has been
expanded looking for ways to explicitly exclude those libraries (I'm
not sure of how complete or effective this is right now).

I wonder though, would relying on having not installed the headers
make things worse? Right now it seems MP assumes /usr/local needs to
be hidden or excluded. Presuming it's not there would be a step back.
Am I mis-interpreting here?

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448