Dropping recommendation to install system headers / command line tools

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Wed Jul 5 13:16:24 UTC 2017

On Jul 05 08:38:16, arno at alum.wpi.edu wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 7:14 AM, Jan Stary <hans at stare.cz> wrote:
> >> as it avoids /usr/local/{include,lib} contamination.  What are the thoughts on this?
> >
> > What contamination? I don't even have /usr/local/
>
> You may not have /usr/local, but lots of people do. It's the default
> installation prefix when compiling most 3rd party tools and there are
> other 3rd party software installers that pick this path as well.

Of course; on most other UNIX systems, I install in /usr/local.
But one of the first things you come across when using MacPorts
is that you are not supposed to have anything in /usr/local

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#defaultprefix
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#usrlocal

	Can I install software in /usr/local while using MacPorts?
	No. ...

> The issue is that libraries installed here may be picked up instead of
> those installed by MacPorts in /opt/local.

Yes. I still believe that's exactly why MP should use /usr/local,
like most other systems do; but that's hardly gonna happen.

> I wonder though, would relying on having not installed the headers
> make things worse?

It's a UNIX system. Why would you rely on e.g.
/usr/include/unistd.h _not_ being there?

> Right now it seems MP assumes /usr/local needs to
> be hidden or excluded.

The FAQ explicitly says you should not install anything in there.

	Jan