Qmake does not respect compiler choice

Nicolas Pavillon nicos at macports.org
Sun Jul 9 04:12:56 UTC 2017

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your clarifications, it was indeed helpful. I had a second look at these issues in the past few days, and I still have some issues in trying to be able to arbitrarily set the compiler. The compiler is respected in the sense that it will be correctly set, but the build may very well fail.

It seems to me that the issue in fact comes from higher up, in the qt4 settings, as I encountered similar issues when checking some ports which were purely relying on qt4 PG too.
In particular, it seems to me that the ‘macx-g++’ template is used in qt4 PG, which sets for instance:
set qt_qmake_spec       macx-g++

The template will set several variables assuming clang as being the compiler (such as Xarg arguments) regardless of settings defined by Macports. Furthermore, even removing these settings seems to not fully remove the use of these templates, as they are still called when calling moc after qmake.
I could not find yet where these settings are predefined, as it does not seem to me that they are set at configure stage. At least I could not find them.

Cheers,

Nicolas