[GSoC] migration

Umesh Singla umeshksingla at macports.org
Sat Jul 22 01:01:16 UTC 2017

Hi

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 5:39 PM, db <iamsudo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 Jul 2017, at 13:02, Umesh Singla <umeshksingla at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Unless we have a snapshot of the previous state, that is, before it got
> hampered.
> > But then again, we reinstall all the ports presently. At this time, it
> could be hard for me to detect what went wrong while sync or upgrade.
>
> If I understood you correctly it will presently reinstall all ports in a
> given snapshot.
>
> I'm not saying that these commands should check for what went wrong during
> upgrade, but to reinstall only those whose upgrade caused another port to
> stop working as expected. The actual cause is for the user to find. For
> example, let's say you did upgrade outdated and hstr doesn't work anymore,
> but you realise that from its rdeps only ncurses was updated. Then you
> could use restore with the snapshot preceding the upgrade to just rollback
> the whole tree to that state by reinstalling in this case only ncurses and
> not hstr, readline, etc.
>
> hstr
>   pkgconfig
>     libiconv
>       gperf
>   ncurses
>   readline

Let's say we have a snapshot of the state before sync or upgrade.

I don't know, in the above example, what do you mean when you say "..you
realize that from its deps..", like, realize how? I am just asking this if
there's some other way to get info on the latest modifications that I might
not be aware of.

'sync' or 'upgrade outdated' provide the information what all ports got
updated immediately on console but I'm not sure if it can be accessed later
since the user may not realize that another port has broken immediately,
like hstr here.

Another thing that comes to my mind now is if, suppose, updated version
of ncurses was actually required for some another port and reverting it to
the older state could possibly result in breaking of that port. May be, we
could get all the ports which depend on it and check if this specific port
requirement could be satisfied by its older versions as well and then just
ask the user if the user would like to restore or not?

Again, I'm not really aware of the things, so I'd like the inputs of
community here.

Regards,
Umesh