[GSoC] migration

Umesh Singla umeshksingla at macports.org
Wed Jul 26 22:35:46 UTC 2017

Hi Josh

Another thing that comes to my mind now is if, suppose, updated version of
>> ncurses was actually required for some another port and reverting it to the
>> older state could possibly result in breaking of that port. May be, we
>> could get all the ports which depend on it and check if this specific port
>> requirement could be satisfied by its older versions as well and then just
>> ask the user if the user would like to restore or not?
>>
>> Again, I'm not really aware of the things, so I'd like the inputs of
>> community here.
>>

> We don't have version dependencies so no, this sort of check is not
> possible a priori. Breakage will be caught by rev-upgrade after the fact in
> many cases (and if it is set to rebuild automatically, it may well revert
> you back to the newer version).

Thanks for clearing this out.

> Also note that we can't actually revert to an older version of a port if
> it has been uninstalled.

I don't understand this. Does this mean that macports only allows me to
install the most recent version of a port? You said "if it has been
uninstalled", so if it's still installed, can we then revert to an older
version?

- Umesh