[GSoC] migration

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Thu Jul 27 04:29:42 UTC 2017

On 2017-7-27 08:35 , Umesh Singla wrote:
>     Also note that we can't actually revert to an older version of a
>     port if it has been uninstalled.
>

> I don't understand this. Does this mean that macports only allows me to
> install the most recent version of a port? You said "if it has been
> uninstalled", so if it's still installed, can we then revert to an older
> version?

That's right. If the older version is still installed but inactive, you
can simply activate it. If it's no longer installed, manual intervention
is required to check out the right commit in the git history and use
that version of the Portfile.

The instructions for that are at
<https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/InstallingOlderPort>.

- Josh