GitHub getopt repository

Zero King l2dy at macports.org
Tue Jun 20 02:10:14 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 08:35:46PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>On Jun 19, 2017, at 20:34, Zero King wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 08:31:16PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>>
>>> I understand why I got the email. I don't understand why we have a repository for getopt when we are not the developers of getopt.
>>
>> Because I'm generating the getopt archive with Travis. This would be
>> more transparent than uploading an archive I built and easier to
>> maintain.
>
>I guess I don't understand what that means.

Travis CI would build the archive I need with the recipe at
https://github.com/macports/getopt/blob/master/.travis.yml
and upload it to Bintray. When testing PRs in macports-ports, Travis CI
would download the archive and extract it to use mpbb.

We need a repository so that Travis could build the archive for us.

When we need to rebuild the getopt archive (e.g. dependency update), we
can tag a new release and Travis will upload a new archive to Bintray
and then we can update _ci/bootstrap.sh in macports-ports accordingly.

If I uploaded an archive I've built myself, others would have to guess
how I generated it to change anything in it.

--
Best regards,
Zero King

Don't trust the From address.