GitHub getopt repository

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Tue Jun 20 21:01:13 UTC 2017

Hi Ryan,

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 08:35:46PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jun 19, 2017, at 20:34, Zero King wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 08:31:16PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> >>
> >> I understand why I got the email. I don't understand why we have a
> >> repository for getopt when we are not the developers of getopt.
> >
> > Because I'm generating the getopt archive with Travis. This would be
> > more transparent than uploading an archive I built and easier to
> > maintain.
>
> I guess I don't understand what that means.

Builds on Travis CI have a timelimit. We try to save as much time as
possible on setting up our build environment so more time is left for
actual useful builds.

The way we do this is by avoiding installation of a number of utilities
from source, e.g. we do not install MacPorts from source. getopt is a
dependency of mpbb, which we use, but it does not come by default with
OS X.

For both MacPorts base and getopt, we have a repository (because we can
only attach Travis CI jobs to a repository) that we use to prepare a
pre-built binary, which will then be installed by the Travis CI covering
macports-ports.

Consider the getopt repository an implementation detail of our pull
request verification infrastructure, just like mpbb and
macports-infrastructure are implementation details of
build.macports.org.

--
Clemens